Vampytwist

Security Flaw In TouchWiz Can Remotely Wipe Galaxy S III And Other Samsung Smartphone

Source: Here

GALAXY-S-III-Product-Image-2_B.jpg

Ravi Borgaonkar gave an insight into the flaw at the Ekoparty security conference, and by means of a basic USSD code which could be sourced from a website or pushed via NFC / QR code, a Samsung Galaxy S III – or any Samsung device for that matter – could be factory reset.

Although most of us have the presence of mind to back everything up at least once, this isn’t always the case, and if one hasn’t backed up and loses all data, it can be a living nightmare. Photos, videos, music, contacts and such are very cumbersome to recover if the correct steps have not been taken to regularly safe-keep via a computer or cloud-based infrastructure.

The news will certainly worry those running a Samsung smartphone, and despite the fact the user of breached smartphone would be able to see the attack taking place, they wouldn’t be able to do anything to stop it.

Before mass panic ensues, it should be noted that it only seems to be affecting Samsung devices running the TouchWiz aftermarket firmware. Those on stock, untouched version of Android will find the code shown in the dialer screen, but it won’t run automatically.

Borgaonkar also adds that the attack can be worsened still, since another USSD code can also defunct the SIM attached to the handset. One simple line of code can wipe a smartphone and finish off its SIM for good measure – it’s a scary thought, isn’t it?

Awe what a shame, I was thinking about getting the S III.

Edit: Nevermind, I just won't use touchwiz.

Thats really stupid, glad i never use my Galaxy NOTE :yay: lmfao